Thursday, April 4, 2013

Watch out for those Moths

Things have been quiet because I've been spending so much time working on the etsy shop. Not that you can particularly tell it right now. Lots of reading and researching on creating a specific brand for the store (which I am struggling to wrap my brain around!), as well as updating old listings and adding new things. I've managed to get two new necklaces listed this week- very different but both from the 1960's.



I also have about 20 things still in draft mode, so be looking for them to start popping up over the next month or so.
Just yesterday a gentleman brought in some really awesome sterling rings- he is a metal detector that has hunted all over, but these particular pieces are from California soil! It will probably be a few days before they get added to the inventory, just because I have so many other things ahead of them, but here is a little teaser! (Excepting the agate ring and the spoon ring. Those are my personal pretties :)



I just love that one tiny yellow knuckle ring! I'm not the best about keeping up with current fashions (mostly because I don't really care. I just wear what I like!) but apparently they are the. thing. right now. At least that is what I have been noticing when I make my social networking rounds each day. It makes me a little sad to think about all the old baby rings that we have acquired in the past and couldn't keep because they were so tiny and no one wanted them! The lesson my hoarder self wants to take away from this is... save everything!!

But that probably isn't the right lesson.

Do what you love, invest in what you love. If no one else likes it or wants to buy it, at least you don't mind looking at it every day as you set up the display cases, or edit photos for the fifteenth tiiime. There have been some things we have had for sale that I just thought were ugly. Didn't like 'em, didn't care about 'em. Unsurprisingly, that was the way other people felt too. It certainly didn't help that I had zero passion about the items I was trying to convince them to buy. 
Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that just because I love a ring, it's going to fly right off the shelf. But it's OK. I work hard to present it well. When I love a piece, I care enough about it to find out information about it like the time period it was from, who might have worn it, and what makes it something special. I wear it myself for a few days and admire the craftsmanship that went into making it. And when someone shows an interest in it, I can honestly tell them just why it's a worthwhile investment. When someone buys a piece from me and loves it so much they leave the store wearing it- that is what makes my day. 

In the end though, it is all just things. As much as I love my business, and am so blessed to have it, I am continually reminded of a specific verse- Matthew 6:19-21
"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Which tells me that it is ok that I haven't hoarded every single baby ring or green stoned artifact or whatever is popular right now. "A generation goes and a generation comes, but the earth remains forever"

Because that's not where I want my heart to be. So I sell what I sell; I admire it, appreciate it, thank God for providing it, and remember that there are far more important treasures to cling to.

No comments:

Post a Comment