Friday, April 5, 2013

Friday Feature 4/5/13

I'm running terribly behind today! Please forgive my lateness- between the temperature being over 65 and sunny and losing a ring, my day ended up being more hectic than I had intended! This week I chose one of my favorite sterling pieces from the shop- thought it might be time to take a break from yellow gold! 


               Candy Blue Vintage Sterling Silver and Turquoise Ring



This gorgeous ring is a classic example of vintage sterling silver and turquoise jewelry. With the stone measuring easily more than an inch in length, it is an impressive piece! The elaborate detailing in sterling complements the unusual shape so well with first braiding and then an intricate pattern of eddies and whorls on the outer edge.


The turquoise is a gorgeous shade of candy hued cerulean that is in remarkable condition for its age which I believe to be at least 30-40 years old. The stone is a very unusual jelly bean shaped cabochon that goes perfectly with all of the bright colors and tribal patterns that are so popular right now. The ring is a US size 7.25 which is a great size as it can accommodate a range of hand sizes. 


What also makes this such a wonderful ring is that it has been signed. After seriously wearing out google, and looking at as much as I could find, I have found four different artists who utilize the "LC" signature. Lee Chee, Lucille Calladitto, Louise Clark, and finally, Luciano Chavez. Studying each signature style as well as craftsmanship, I believe this ring to be the work of Luciano Chavez. Aside from learning that he is from Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, I was unable to discover any more. Regardless, a good signature always adds value, not forgetting an additional degree of intrigue as well as artistic appeal.


Simply put, I love everything about this ring! It has great quality, unique character, and even an air of mystery- where did it come from, how did it end up in Tiny Town, Kentucky, and who really is Luciano Chavez??
Maybe that isn't as much of a mystery as I am making it out to be... if you have more information about this artist, or just want to jump in with something to share, feel free!! We always love to learn something new!


You can find this week's ring here.

***We are more than happy to answer any questions or requests for additional information. Feel free to send us a message on etsy, to our email- thetigerandthefox@gmail.com or leave us a comment here!***

1 comment:

  1. My research shows luciano chavez born 12-21-52 died 8-9-06 in santo domingo pueblo, new mexico

    ReplyDelete