Thursday, May 2, 2013

Growing Pains

As is painfully obvious, I have gotten woefully behind in my blogging the last couple of weeks! I would blame it on a multitude of things, but really, it boils down to prioritizing. And being incredibly indecisive. And being forgetful.

I'll just stick to "multitude of things".

One big thing that has been keeping me from updating is spending all my time researching domain names, and all the things that go along with that. I thought, "How cool would it be to be able to type 'fergusonsfinejewelry.com' into my web browser, and BAM, be at my site?"

So I decided that maybe it was time to cough up a little money and make that step. I was literally seconds away from buying the name (and I still should) when I made the discovery that... it is not that simple!! I won't go into details, because you either A) already know what I'm talking about or B) know even less than myself and don't need me confusing you. If you are looking for more information, I suggest making google your friend. And then coming back here and explaining everything to me.

So now I'm slogging through web hosts, and site platforms and something called genesis framework that I have no idea about, but apparently should drop $60 on ASAP.

Also today I finally set up the printer we bought (on Saturday) and made the discovery that it only prints black and white. Did I mention that yet? I feel incredibly dingy and annoyed at the same time. We talked about returning it, but the more I think about it, the more I feel like I would probably just use the color feature to print off pictures of Doctor Who and those printables where you fold cube like replicas of nerdy characters. I think I'm just going to invest in some pretty cardstock and some good colored pencils. That sounds like more fun anyway, right?

Well, I think we are back out of the rabbit trail. It took us a little further down the path than I had intended, but everyone's still here and no worse for the wear.

I don't know if we are quite ready to go full out on a website yet. There's so many things that I don't even completely understand; let alone pay money to not know what I am doing. But I do think it is time to start transitioning into a more professional arena. I would love to have a fully functioning site, where there's more than just a blog rambling on about daily goofiness; maybe even be able to purchase our jewelry directly from the source. So I am moving over to http://fergusonsfinejewelry.wordpress.com. At some point in time, I would like to transfer everything here at The Tiger and The Fox over to it, but that's not possible, so for now,  I will be mainly focusing on that site, with a periodic look back this way.

I hope to see you over at our new site, and look forward to continuing to grow!

1 comment: