Friday, December 7, 2012

Planning Ahead

It's that time of year again! Nope, I'm not talking about shopping for presents or over-eating or burrowing down in your snuggie for another episode of Honey Boo Boo. I'm talking about garden planning.

"Say Whhh-aat?!" You might be crying out. And I don't blame you. A few days ago, the thought would not have even flitted through the vast cavern that is my brain.

Then, without any warning or announcement- I received not one, but two seed catalogs.

The thrill of getting just about anything in the mail is hard to beat, and these had the double whammy of surprise and beauty. That second one may seem a bit strange, but take a look at this cover by Baker Creek.
 That is just gorgeous! And it's as thick as a magazine- glossy color pictures and descriptions that make your mouth water. I have two garden boxes in my backyard, making space somewhat of a premium, but I'm having a difficult time choosing between about four different kinds of carrots... And that's just the carrots! I didn't even know there was such a thing as white carrots, or twenty-five vastly different types of eggplant or a thing called a "celtuce". It sounds pretty wild but it is really just a lettuce with a celery like stalk. Go figure!

I know I should be focusing on things more business related, or at the very least, finishing up my Christmas gifts (it's one of those homemade years. That's really not such a bad thing, I just need to get cracking!), but right now, it's nothing but "how many different jalapeƱo plants can I justify?" and so forth. At the very least, I've learned there are more edible plants than I could have ever imagined. Feel free to share the oddest plant or veggie you've ever heard of- we would love to hear!
Until then, peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment